Bulletin of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv. Astronomy, no. 55, p. 43-46 (2017)
A search for possible connections of gravitational influence of the Sun and the Moon with earthquakes
A. Kazantsev, Ph. D.,
L. Kazantseva, Ph. D.
Astrоnomical Observatory of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kуiv, Kуiv
If there is an influence of the Moon and Sun on occurrence of earthquakes, the physical nature of such influence can only be the gravitational. A possible gravitational influence is caused by the resultant tidal forces of those bodies, but not by their separate actions. There were calculated tidal forces of the Moon and the Sun and their resultant force for different time moments and hypocenter coordinates. Previous conclusions about a possible influence of those two cosmic bodies on occurrence of the earthquakes in different coordinates and depths of the hypocenters were made.
earthquake, tidal force. Moon, Sun.
1. Kazantsev A. M. The simple numerical method of near-Earth asteroids orbits calculations / A. M. Kazantsev (in rus.: Казанцев А. М. Простой метод численных расчетов эволюции орбит околоземных астероидов) // Astron. Vestnik, 2002. – Vol. 36. – № 1. – P. 48–54.
2. Reference guide on celestial mechanics and astrodynamics ; Eds. G. N. Duboshina (in rus.: Справочное руководство по Небесной механике и астродинамике ; под ред. Г. Н. Дубошина). – Moscow : Nauka, 1978. – 852 p.
3. Chen L. Correlations between solid tides and worldwide earthquakes MS ≥ 7.0 since 1900 / L. Chen, J. G. Chen, Q. H. Xu // Natural Hazards and Earth System Sci., 2012. – Vol. 12, Is. 3. – P. 587–590.
4. Knopoff L. Correlation of Earthquakes with Lunar Orbital Motions / L. Knopoff // The Moon, 1970. – Vol. 2, Is. 2. – P. 140–143.
5. Sadeh Dror S. Search for sidereal periodicity in earthquake occurrences / Dror S. Sadeh, Meir Meidav // J. of Geophysical Research, 1973. – Vol. 78, Is. 32. – P. 7709–7716.
6. Weems Robert E. Strong correlation of major earthquakes with solid-earth tides in part of the eastern United States / Robert E. Weems, H. Jr. Perry William // Geology, 1989. – Vol. 17, Is. 7. – P. 661.